There are many benefits to owning a pet, but here are just ten of the health-related ones:
- Stress relief – Petting a dog has been shown to lower blood pressure and reduce cortisol levels (the stress hormone).
- Improved mental health – Owning a pet can help reduce anxiety and loneliness and increase happiness and self-worth.
- Lower cholesterol levels – Studies have shown that people who own pets have lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels (blood fats) than those who don’t.
- Reduced risk of heart disease – People who own pets are less likely to develop heart disease because they tend to have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Increased opportunities for exercise – Walking or playing with a dog is a great way to get some exercise, especially if you’re not the type who enjoys going to the gym.
- Improved social life – Owning a pet can help you meet new people and make new friends, especially if you take your dog to the park or dog-friendly events.
- Weight control – People who own dogs tend to be more active and have lower body mass indexes (BMIs) than those who don’t, possibly because they get more exercise.
- Reduced risk of allergies and asthma in children – Children exposed to pets early in life are less likely to develop allergies or asthma.
- Lower blood pressure – Petting a dog has been shown to lower blood pressure, even in people with hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Reduced risk of stroke – People who own pets are less likely to have a stroke because they tend to have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
So, if you’re looking for a reason to get a pet, your health may be a good place to start! But remember, owning a pet is a big responsibility, so make sure you’re prepared for the commitment before you bring one home.
- Do you have a pet and are looking for a pet-friendly rehab or detox for drugs and alcohol that accepts your furry loved one? Let us at La Jolla Recovery welcome both of you on the journey toward healing and connection.