Valentine’s Day is today, and many people may wonder how to celebrate without indulging in alcohol or other substances.
Whether you are spending Valentine’s Day alone or with a partner, here are some ideas to make it a sober yet special day in San Diego, California, and the surrounding areas. Remember, the best gift has intention, not always a price tag.
For those spending Valentine’s Day alone, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy. Why not take a trip to a nearby city or town like Laguna Beach or Newport, and take in some of the local sights? For those staying in San Diego County, Visit the San Diego Museum of Art, and explore a new hobby or skill, such as painting or learning a new language (it’s time to download DuoLingo).
For those spending Valentine’s Day with a partner, there are also numerous activities to enjoy. Take a romantic walk along the beaches of Del Mar, Encinitas or Oceanside in North County, explore the local area, and take in the sights and sounds of your surroundings. If you’re feeling adventurous, try something new together, such as horseback riding or kayaking. At the end of the day, take some time to relax and reconnect with your partner.
Tired of looking at your phone when in your partner’s company? Try these ten questions to grow in intimacy and empathy:
1. What is something you have always wanted to try but haven’t had the chance to do yet?
2. What is something that you appreciate about me?
3. What was the happiest moment of your life?
4. What was the most challenging thing you have ever gone through?
5. What is the most important thing for a healthy relationship?
6. What is something that you feel proud of yourself for doing?
7. What would you like to learn more about together?
8. What do you think are the qualities that make a strong friendship?
9. What do you think is the most meaningful thing you can do for someone?
10. What are the most important things to focus on in life?
Enjoy a home-cooked meal or a picnic in Balboa Park, head to the San Diego Zoo or explore Coronado Beach, and finish off the day with a romantic movie night. Pick a movie you both enjoy, such as “When Harry Met Sally” or “TheNotebook,” and make it a memorable night.
No matter how you spend Valentine’s Day, remember that it doesn’t have to involve drinking or other substances to be unique. Take the time to appreciate your relationship and be creative in finding meaningful and sober activities to enjoy.With the proper planning and creativity, you can make Valentine’s Day a memorable and unique time for both of you.
by Jace A.