Two years after the death of pop legend Prince, CNN accounts that a toxicology report has been released showing high levels of Fentanyl in the singer’s body. Fentanyl is a very strong opioid that is prescribed to relieve severe pain in cancer patients. CNN tells us that this prescription drug is 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin and 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine. In 2016 Prince was found unresponsive in the elevator of his recording studio, and now further investigation revealed to us it was due to an accidental overdose of Fentanyl. In 2009 beloved pop star Michael Jackson died from a similar prescription drug overdose. And these are only two names from a long list of Hollywood stars that have died over the past century from a drug overdose. So why are we not talking about this problem more?
Behind the music, movies, concerts, red carpets, interviews, and fame are real people struggling with real problems that need to be seriously addressed.
My initial thoughts are: first off, who is prescribing or giving these medications to these celebrities? And second, who is turning a blind eye to these individuals using such lethal drugs?
If you or a loved one are hurting from addiction, let us at La Jolla Recovery answer any questions regarding your journey towards recovery. We would love to share our experience and hope. No matter how far you have gone, there is always support at any stage, from detox to sober living.